Insight Dubai Conference

America can often feel isolated from the rest of the world, especially to a girl from rural Alabama, but discussing international challenges with women from every corner of the map made me feel a part of the global community in a way that I had never before experienced. The Insight Dubai Conference invites fifty women from around the world to the Dubai Women's College, where they are paired with students from the college and placed into working groups.

I worked with a group that included women from India, the UAE, Kenya, Palestine, and Australia. It was challenging to work with people with whom my contact was very brief, but it was very rewarding to step out of my introverted comfort zone. Because we only had a week to get to know each other, we often had to dive right into difficult conversations. One thing I found particularly challenging was the fact that during our conversations about human trafficking and other human rights abuses, many of the conference attendees argued that their countries do not struggle with such problems. It was frustrating to realize that many of our countries face the same challenge -- admitting we have problems and finding constructive solutions.

Overall, the conference made me more knowledgeable about global issues and how to discuss hot-button topics with others who share different political, religious, and cultural beliefs. I presented our group's discussions on child marriage and human trafficking to the rest of the conference attendees, which provided an incredible opportunity for intercultural communication and collaboration.

On the last day of the conference, I was asked to emcee the closing ceremonies, a wonderful gesture by the conference organizers in response to my earlier presentation. As I stood at the podium, welcoming every conference attendee to the stage, I recognized the importance of establishing strong relationships with others, regardless of the stances of our respective governments. The bonds we had formed at this conference transcended borders, a lesson I hope to bring to my future career. Building lasting relationships with people who have completely different backgrounds from me will no doubt play a pivotal role as I pursue a career in diplomacy.