Standard B – Delivers Effective Instruction

Indicators

Evidence

1. Communicates high standards and expectations when beginning the lesson.

a. Makes learning objectives clear to students.

I repeated the teaching point throughout the lesson in different ways in order to reach all learners.

Clear Objectives.docx

b. Communicates clearly in writing, speaking and through the use of appropriately designed visual and contextual aids.

As clearly described in the script that I wrote for a math lesson that I taught, I used the SMART Board as a way to write my thinking, spoke through the steps explicitly to model my thinking and used the board and worksheets for students to see my thinking.

Communicates clearly in writing, speaking and through the use of aids.docx     

c. Uses engaging ways to begin a new unit of study or lesson.

I reflected on my teaching in a three-way meeting with my faculty supervisor and cooperating teacher about how I have made new material exciting and interesting for all students by utilizing classroom resources and my eagerness to teach.

Uses engaging ways to begin a new unit of study or lesson.docx     

d. Builds on students’ prior knowledge and experience.

I activated students' prior knowledge by having them use what they learned in the previous class.

Activates Prior Knowledge.docx   

2. Communicates high standards and expectations when carrying out the lesson.

a. Uses a balanced approach to teaching skills and concepts of elementary reading and writing.

In my final three-way meeting form for my first semester clearly states that I have incoprorated reading and writing skills into different disciplines and showed their interconnected nature to students throughout my teaching and assignments.

Uses a balanced approach to teaching skills     

b. Employs a variety of content-based and content-oriented teaching techniques from more teacher-directed strategies such as direct instruction, practice, and Socratic dialogue, to less teacher-directed approaches such as discussion, problem solving, cooperative learning, and research projects (among others).

As clearly articulated in a journal entry that I wrote reflecting on my student teaching experience, I have learned to use different approaches in instruction and discussion based upon students' knowledge and needs.

Employs a variety of content-based and content-oriented teaching techniques.docx     

****NOTE: For Standard B2c, please complete the Elementary License Specific Questions.

B2c: Demonstrates an adequate knowledge of and approach to the academic content of lessons. (Please attach documentation that license-specific questions were used to evaluate candidate knowledge)****

d. Employs a variety of reading and writing strategies for addressing learning objectives.

In this jounral entry, I reflect on my experience on emphasizing the importance and connected nature of reading and writing in the classroom in multiple academic disciplines.

Employs a variety of reading and writing strategies.docx     

e. Uses questioning to stimulate thinking and encourages all students to respond.

Below is a journal entry that I wrote reflecting on a class fieldtrip in which I encouraged students to think deeply about their scientific discoveries by prompting them with questions. These inspired group conversations throughout the class. A topic with one student inspired responses from others.

Uses questioning to stimulate thinking and encourages all students to respond.docx     

f. Uses instructional technology appropriately.

I have incorporated the classroom SMARTBoard into my lessons as a way to engage students and represent information visually in a clear manner.

Uses instructional technology appropriately.docx     

g. Uses effective strategies and techniques for making content accessible for English language learners.

My faculty supervisor appreciated my use of appropriate language and repetition (like of the learning objective and vocabulary terms) throughout a writing lesson as a tool that would benefit ELL students.

Uses effective strategies and techniques for ELL.docx

h. Demonstrates knowledge of the difference between social and academic language and the importance of this difference in planning, differentiating and delivering effective instruction for English language learners at various levels of English language proficiency and literacy.

As seen in this lesson that I planned, I acknowledge the need for using a mix of language (social and academic) in order to promote learning and language aquisition.

Demonstrates knowledge of the difference between social and academic language for ELL.docx

3. Communicates high standards and expectations when extending and completing the lesson.

a. Assigns homework or practice that furthers student learning and checks it.

In a math lesson that I taught, I assigned a worksheet that used information from the day's lesson for home application. I included my plan to review their homeowork and inform me as to next steps of instruction.  

Assigns homework or practice that furthers student learning and checks it.docx   

b. Provides regular and frequent feedback to students on their progress.

I emphasize in this lesson plan for a writing lesson that I respond to questions and provide comments and feedback throughout in order to avoid misconceptions and clarify points. My accessiblity allows for students to voice concerns and questions in different scenarios (small and large group).

Provides regular and frequent feedback to students on their progress.docx     

c. Provides many and varied opportunities for students to achieve competence.

My faculty supervisor states in her final three-way meeting form during my first semester in the fourth grade I made students feel successful and provide an atmosphere that makes students want to try even with the possiblity of not always knowing the correct answer.

Provides many and varied opportunities for students to achieve competence.docx     

4. Communicates high standards and expectations when evaluating student learning.

a. Accurately measures student achievement of, and progress toward, the learning objectives with a variety of formal and informal assessments, and uses results to plan further instruction.

As noted in a final reflection about my experienceing tutoring a fifth grade student struggling in math, I reviewed formal assessments and informal assessments prior to planning learning objectives with collegues (classroom teacher and Title I Math teacher) and implementing various modes of practice for the student.This wide variety of assessments gave a larger view of where the student needed the most assistance and focus. Observations of the student supplied contextual evidence of who the student was as a learner as well in the classroom.

Accurately measures student achievement of learning objectives.docx     

b. Translates evaluations of student work into records that accurately convey the level of student achievement to students, parents or guardians, and school personnel.

My cooperating teacher emailed me in regard to my involvement in administering BAS assessments and commented on her appreciation of my participation in parent-teacher confrences, in which we referred to the results of these assessments as evidence of student proress and as a resource for planning. These results also are kept in a folder for other school personnel to access and use.

Translates evaluations of student work.pdf

Rating:

Explanation of Rating for Standard B – Delivers Effective Instruction:

Rating Scale: 1=Does Not Meet the Standard; 2=Meets the Standard, 3=Exceeds the Standard; NA=Not Applicable.

Candidate’s Name:                                                                               

License:        

Program Supervisor (initial):        

Date:         

Supervising Practitioner (initial):        

Date: